Federal Skilled Trades Worker

What is the federal skilled trades program occupation list and what is the Minimum requirements for Federal Skilled Trades Worker Program (FSTW)
To be eligible, you must:

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  • meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening),
  • have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply
  • Note: please refer to IRCC’s website for an exhaustive list of requirements

Skilled work experience
federal skilled trades program occupation list currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTW) are organized under these major and minor groups of the NOC:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture, and related production,
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utility supervisors and central control operators,
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
  • Minor Group 633, butchers, and bakers.

Federal Skilled Trades Worker program applications must be made based on the 2011 version of the NOC unless otherwise stated.

As you know by having work experience in one of the occupations mentioned in Federal skilled trades program occupation list, you will not be qualified for this Canadian immigration program and you have to increase your points with your other qualifications.
There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTW) . But, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you either need:

  • a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree OR
  • a completed foreign credential, and
  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by IRCC. [The report must show your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma, or degree.]

Language ability

You must:

  • meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 for reading and writing, and
  • take a language test approved by IRCC that shows you meet the level for speaking, listening, reading, and writing.

You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.
Principal applicant
If you are married or live with a common-law partner who also meets the above conditions, you can decide which one of you will apply under Express Entry as the principal (main) applicant.

You can see the full Federal skilled trades program occupation list with their detailed NOC code on IRCC website

Calculate your CRS score with our easy to use the tool. You can Contact New Chapter Immigration Group for a free consultation, we will do a free assessment of your application and advise you on the most suitable immigration program for you