Post Graduation Work Permits(PGWP)

Many international students in Canada wish to live in Canada on a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) after the completion of their studies in Canada. International graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada if they have obtained their degree from a  Designated Learning Institutions.
Depending on the duration of their program of study in Canada, international students are eligible to get an open work permit for up to three years under this program. This type of Work Permit is not job specified and will let International Students work for any Canadian employer anywhere in Canada without a Canadian job offer.
Please be advised that only Canadian work experience in the national occupational code A, O or B, gained through the PGWPP can make you qualify for permanent residence in Canada.
Qualified International students are eligible only for one Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) after completion of their studies, so it is important to take all your steps wisely and take advantage of this opportunity.
You can contact us today. Our team of professional Immigration lawyers and consultants in New Chapter are always ready to answer your immigration questions.
Requirements of this Program
To qualify for Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWPP) you must:

  • Graduate and obtain a degree in Canada from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with at least eight months long. During this time, you must be on a full-time student status unless you are authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit
  • Receive a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that the applicant has met the requirements to complete their program of study;
  • Apply within 180 days of the date, you complete your program

NOTE: There are exceptional cases where international students may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit if they have completed an accelerated or distance learning program or requested leave from studies.
Processing time
Depending on the country of your origin the processing times vary. So Please visit IRCC Website for the Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWPP) processing time

Required Supporting Documents
Two important documents are required at the time of applying are a letter confirming the completion of your program of study and an official transcript by their DLI.
NOTE: You need a medical exam report as well if you have lived in a designated country of territory for more than 6 months in the past 12 months or you Plan to work in an occupation in which a worker’s illness could endanger the public, such as public health, health sciences, school teaching, or agriculture-related fields.

Ineligible Applicants
International Students who studied in Canada may be ineligible to apply for Post-graduation work permits if:

  • They applied for a post-graduation work permit in the past
  • participated in the American States Fellowships Program
  • received funds from Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC
  • obtained the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada–Chile
  • participated in the Canada–China Scholars’ Exchange Program
  • completed the majority of the credits toward the completion of their program of study by distance learning
  • completed a program of study delivered by a non-Canadian institution located in Canada, regardless of the length of stay in Canada.

If you are in any of the categories above, please contact us and book a free 30 min consultation with one of our Immigration Consultants to Assess your eligibility for an Open Work Permit in Canada. Be advised that you must meet certain criteria to be eligible to apply.

× How can I help you?