Study in Canada
People who are interested to Study in Canada are very lucky as Canada is issuing over 130,000 student visa every year.
Moreover, International student’s number who study in Canada is over 450,000.Over half of Canadian residents have university degrees. This is the reason, Canada is known as the most educated country in the world .
Canada offers lots of the world’s best post-secondary programs in its universities and colleges.
It has been always a matter of question that how complicated it is to get accepted in one of the universities or colleges in Canada. Furthermore, the process of obtaining a Canadian student visa from IRCC has its own complications. In fact, how you can get a study permit from Canada? The answer to this question is directly depends the category of your application.
The fastest way to get your student visa from Canada in less than 2 months through student direct stream. if you are citizen of certain countries and need some specific criteria you can apply for student direct stream.
Note : If the applicant’s field of study is completely different from the past then, he or she has a harder time to satisfy the officer that, their true intention is only studying.
Steps to Study in Canada.
- Decide what program you want to study in Canada.
- Chose your future university or college and apply for your letter of acceptance (LOA).
- Make sure if you need a student visa to study in Canada. In certain cases, you don’t need student visa (or study permit) to study in Canada.
These following individuals don’t need a student visa to study in Canada:
- Family member or staff of a foreign representative in Canada.
- Students who enrol in a course or program which takes less than six months.
- member of foreign armed forces.
- a citizen of another country, with an Indian status in Canada.
In above situations, you may not need a student visa to study in Canada. though, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) to enter to Canada.
- Start your application for the student visa in Canada.
- Gather all necessary documents for the student visa application in Canada.
- Apply for your education credential assessment in Canada. WES is one of the most well-known organizations which you can use for your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).
- Meet the Language requirements for your desired program.
Canadian universities will require you to submit proof of English or French language proficiency if you are not a citizen of an English-speaking country.
There is still chance to obtain a student visa with low level of English proficiency. Students with higher language skills can increase their chance of student visa approval. This ensures the officer that you can be successful in the program which you picked. On the other hand, you show that you can manage your way around Canada. IRCC will process these kinds of applications much faster.
- Book your Bio-metrics appointment and interview.
Depending on the requirements for your country you may need to give your bio-metric. If you are from Europe, India the Middle East or Africa, you need to submit a bio-metric in one of the VAC centres around the world. Your bio-metrics are, type of identification (fingerprint and picture). Canada use bio-metrics as an extra security. The fee to do your bio-metrics is 85 CAD and you can pay it both online or by a certified check for paper based application.
- Submit your medical.
First, make sure you need to submit your medical certificate or not. If you are from certain countries, you may need to do a medical exam and/or police check before applying for the student visa for Canada.
- Pay your GIC.
You can show financial support by paying your Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC). GIC amount is CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) annually in every province and (CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec). It is very important for Canada to make sure you can support yourself financially during your study.
- Pay your tuition fee.
The tuition varies from program to program but you probably need to put 14000-16000 depending on your desired program. In addition, paying your complete tuition fee for the first year, increases your chance of approval for student visa. Plus, your application will be processed much faster.
- Submit your application to Immigration and citizenship Canada (IRCC)
In most cases, you can apply for study permit online. In certain countries, with limited internet access it’s also possible to submit a paper application to IRCC.
- Apply for your family members
. Students can apply for their spouse’s open work permit or for Study permit for their children.
- Pay your application’s processing fee.
You must pay 150 CAD for the processing fee of your student visa application
According to recent visa regulations, the processing time of your application varies depending on the country of your citizenship. For countries such as, Iran the processing time is 9 weeks. If you are applying from India the processing time is 5 weeks. IRCC processes applications which fall under Student Direct Stream much faster. If you have a family member who works in Canada, IRCC will process your application for study permit in two weeks.
Student’s accompanying family member
The family members of a student may accompany him or her to Canada. The minor children of a study permit holder may be able to obtain a study permit and study in one of the Canadian elementary or secondary schools. student’s spouse can obtain an open work permit for the length of the validity of the study permit. For more information about your accompanying family member permits please contact New Chapter Immigration team. Contact the best Immigration lawyers and consultants in Canada and make sure you avoid any mistake in your application.
Steps after applying to study in Canada
Citizenship Immigration Canada will issue you a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction, after, your student visa for Canada is approved. Please be advised that this letter is not your study permit. The Immigration Official will issue your study permit when you arrive in Canada. Depending on your country of citizenship you need one of the documents below to enter Canada to study.
- Students from certain countries require to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) and/or a temporary residence visa. Your ETA will be linked to your passport that you used to apply for your student visa so, it is very important that you travel with the same passport.
- Students from certain countries need to have a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. The TRV will be stamped in your passport and you must enter Canada before the expiry date on your TRV.
Extend or change the condition of student visa
Study permit expires 90 days after, you receive a notification of the program completion. Students are eligible to study in any institution or any city in Canada for the duration of their study permit .In some cases students may need to renew or change the study permit during the course of their studies in Canada. Students at a post-secondary institution do not need to apply for a new study permit if they change institution, study program, or their level of study. Only international student moving from elementary school to high school are required to apply for a change of condition in their study permit.
Working while studying in Canada
You are qualified to work without a work permit on or off-campus for up to 20 hours during your semesters. You also can work full-time during your winter or summer breaks.
To be qualified to work you must make sure you meet all the requirements below.
- You must have a valid study permit.
- You must be a full-time student.
- You must be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution at post-secondary level.
- You must be studying in an academic, professional training or a vocational program that leads to a Degree, Certificate or Diploma which takes at least six months.
For advice on finding a job after graduation from a post-secondary institution please contact us. Our team of best immigration lawyers in Canada will help you with a high level of proficiency and ethic.
You may be eligible up to 3 years of post-grad work permit after you obtain a degree in Canada from one of the Designated Learning Institutions. But, be advised that you have only 90 days to apply for a post-graduate work permit if you want to stay in Canada.
Applying for a student visa for Canada has some complication and having an immigration lawyer or consultant to help you through this process will be a huge advantage to you. New Chapter Immigration Agency with a team of professionals will help you to find the best Institution for you.
New chapter immigration team has been working with students from all over the world and we offer very competitive fees to make it easier for you. Use the help of professionals and save yourself time and money.Contact us today and fill our assessment form to get connected to the best immigration consultants and immigration lawyers in Canada.
Are you eligible?
Find out if you are eligible for a Canadian Study Permit by filling out our Free Assessment form.